Saturday, November 15, 2008

TV, Movies and Plays- Oh my!

A pretty standard week and an exciting weekend! First highlight, I'm not sick anymore! Here are the other big events of the week:

The Office

Cari and I have been watching The Office. Cari had never seen it, so I'm catching her up because every week my principal downloads the newest episode and we've been watching them off his computer. Watching episode after episode with no commercial interruptions takes me back to college and rooming with Jake. We've made it through 2 seasons in a week (although, Season 1 hardly counts... only having 6 episodes).


Parent-Teacher Conferences

This school week was the norm- nothing too exciting. I'm healthy again, so that's nice. Thursday and Friday were my first Parent-Teacher conferences! Having only 6 students, I was able to have all my conferences on Thursday, the half-day. This meant Friday I had all day to relax and plan in my classroom. That actually turned into playing cards and Blockus with other teachers who were finished.

Aida

Friday night was a night on the town. After conferences were over, I got ready to go downtown with Cari, Carrie and Vicki. We headed to a really fancy hotel in downtown Xi'an named the Sofitel. This hotel has many restaurants and a theater. It's very beautiful and you can't help but feel like a celebrity walking around inside. Our first stop was dinner. We ate at one of the restaurants that offered an incredible buffet. I was in heaven!

After dinner, we made our way to the theater in the center of the hotel to watch the Broadway production Aida. It was really fun! The play wasn't anything spectacular, but it was really nice to go see something like that. It was in English, but the voices were a little quiet- or the music was too loud, one of the two. Their were subtitles being projected on the walls for the Chinese audience to read. It was a very fun experience.

007

And, as if seeing a Broadway musical in English wasn't enough, Saturday Cari, my principal, his wife and I all went to see the new 007 movie that was playing at a mall in Xi'an. It was so fun! I haven't been to a movie theater in a long time and this one was gorgeous! The movie was in English, so it felt like we were watching at home. And the new Bond movie was GREAT! It had everything you'd expect from Bond- fast car chases, loads of action, a tuxedo party and beautiful locations from around the world. After, to top-off the "Western"experience, we went to Dairy Queen. This mall has one of the two Dairy Queens in Xi'an.

It was a very fun weekend full of entertainment. I have a bit of a long stretch before another break, but the other big news...

MY BROTHER TJ IS COMING TO VISIT DECEMBER 2nd!!!

...yeah, I'm excited! Hope all is going well back home. This weekend reminded me a lot of life in the states, miss you all!

Thanks for reading!


(not this week, but I did eat ice cream this week!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I hide in TJ's Luggage? Still aiming to visit you somehow!

Anonymous said...

Tell me you took Settlers to China...