Friday, June 12, 2009

School's OUT!

It's official; yesterday was my LAST DAY OF TEACHING STUDENTS for this year. Next week will be a work week for staff to pack their rooms and prepare for our move. And, with the work that has been done already, its very likely that we will be done early next week!

It has been an amazing year and I've learned so much about teaching and myself from this experience. Although I am not certain of my career path when I return to the United States of America, I will always consider teaching a fun, challenging and rewarding occupation and this experience has help prepare me if teaching is in my future.

Here are some of the highlights of the year; although there would be too many to list!


Culture Day! One of the largest school events with decorated classroom food and student projects


Hanging out with my awesome students and awesome staff everyday!

It's been an incredible year and I've made some amazing friends! I'll never forget this experience and the great times had...

TIME TO CELEBRATE!

How did I celebrate my last day?! Why, karaoke of course! After making an appearance at the graduation party of our school's class of 2009... Chase; Ty, Cari, the Craigs and I went to meet our Chinese friends for a birthday dinner followed by karaoke.


That's right, Chase graduated in a class of 1; Himself! Congrats Chase!

After going to Hot Pot- the birthday girl's favorite meal- we began the journey to find a good karaoke place. I had heard earlier in the day that the plan was to eat dinner and then go "Karaoke all night"... I thought that was 'metaphorically' speaking.

Making sure to find a good place, we tried 3 locations before arriving at our final destination. The fun and music began right away. There were 11 of us total but the room was a comfortable size. At some point in the night, the Criaigs and Ty headed home but I was determined to last a little longer and so was Cari. After a trip to the restroom, I noticed that an all-nighter in a karaoke room was not uncommon in China- I walked pass several rooms with two people awake and singing and the rest sleeping in their chairs.

At 4:00 am, I decided that I had to go the distance. There was no way I would be able to stay awake (since I had been up since 5:00 am that morning), but I could at least spend the night in the karaoke room- I couldn't pass up this opportunity! I tried to participate as much as possible; I was searching the database and adding a couple English songs to the list. But, the list was so long that by the time my songs started, I had fallen asleep. After attempting this twice, I decided to just try and be as comfortable as possible in my chair (half the room was already asleep at this point) and get some shut-eye.

I was impressed that every time I woke up, I would see the birthday girl and the two other guys with us singing! Not only is it difficult to stay up all night, but to sing non-stop?! Obviously seasoned veterans at the karaoke scene. It was another fun and unique Chinese adventure.

Countdown!

T.Matt Arrives: 8 DAYS- Can't wait!
My Parents Arrive: 25 Days- less than a month!
Back to USA: 43 Days

Thanks for Reading!

Mr. Brad on the first day of class.

Mr. Brad on the last day of class

3 comments:

alliehallmarr said...

YAY! Congratulations Brad, I bet you were an awesome teacher. How fun! When do you come back to the states?

Cari said...

I took a four hour nap this morning...I think I am all caught up now. The before and after pictures turned out great!

Unknown said...

The before and after pictures are great. And now its a week till go time!